Make it Work!

Well, I tried.

I searched and searched and couldn’t find any satisfactory resources for repairing holes in garter stitch.  So after reading a bit and immediately deleting instructional videos, as if I have enough un-harrassed time (or patience) to watch and absorb a video, I decided grafting over it was the best way to go.  Late at night, I read up on the old Kitchener stitch and found Theresa Vinsen Stenersen’s article on grafting to be the first one that mentioned Kitchenering garter stitch.  Thank you, Theresa!  (Since then, I found many more interesting and informative resources like this, this and this.)

So, mostly winging it in my child-free fifteen minutes in the morning, I attacked the moth holes and snapped a few photos during the process.  The moth damage was more pervasive through the knitted yoke than I had realized and there are several more places where the nasty little beasts have chewed half-way through the ply leaving me with a time-bomb on my hands.  All I want is for A to be able to wear it a few times.  Enough to have a few more photos in it and look cute.  Is that so much to ask?

So, anyway, I picked up, what I hoped were the right stitches, overlapping into the adjacent area where the knit fabric was still together.  The hole only spanned one row, so I thought I could just graft the one row – perfect right?

IMG_4873a

I tried to wrap my brain around the instructions from Theresa’s article to have, “the last row of stitches on the front piece have purl bumps snug up against the needle and the last row of stitches on the back piece have knit stitches up against the needle.”  I think that’s what I had here, keeping in mind I am including stitches that are still knitted together at each side of the hole.

It looked like this after a few minutes of, “knit on, purl off!” chanting, which kept becoming Tim Gunn’s voice in my head instead saying, “Make it work!  Make it work!”

IMG_4876a

And then this, after I adjusted the tension.

IMG_4879a

I attacked the second hole the same way and then kind of winged it with the hole on the edge of the button band.  I tied a few knots, wove the new yarn liberally through the back of the yoke, hoping that it will reinforce other weakened areas and called it a day.  The back is not pretty, there’s a loop that I can’t pull in (remember, I’m impatient) and a few stray tails.

IMG_4882a

But I can live with it and it’ll work for a few more wears.

IMG_4883a

Right now, its thinking about what it’s done in the freezer.

About these ads

3 thoughts on “Make it Work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s